Monday, September 12, 2011

Day -181

This is old news.  And I didn't say anything before because I was hoping that it would just go away.  I have a deep, unconditional love of the Postal Service, no doubt born from nervous anticipation of Mail Call at camp.  I send and receive postcards regularly, I send bills through the mail.  I know how much a stamp costs and I believe it is no small marvel that for $10.75 I can have a package personally delivered to my family 3,000 miles away.

The postal service is required by the Constitution to provide affordable service and delivery to every citizen, but they don't get any funding.  They must support themselves, which is becoming problematic in these times of reduced mail volume (Darn Internet!)  To further complicate things, they need congresssional approval for any major decisions--like reducing delivery days.  My love isn't enough.

Now, instead of nervously awaiting the mail to see if they still loved me back home, now I'm nervous that my mail won't come at all.  Beyond that, I'm afraid I won't be able to afford to send packages for resupply, or that I won't have anywhere to send them.




Closing the post offices in Fontana Dam, N.C.; Glencliff, N.H.; and Caratunk, Maine, would leave hikers without an easy way to get food and switch out equipment at critical points during their treks, which usually take between four and six months

No comments:

Post a Comment